Sunday, July 14, 2013

New (Old) Planes and Plane Holder


Posted by
Labels: , ,
I recently acquired a couple of old planes off of ebay.  The first is an old wooden rabbet plane.  This plane was in good condition when I bought it.  I just put some oil and wax on the wooden body and sharpened up the blade and it was good to go.


The second plane was a Stanley #60 1/2 low angle block plane.  I've been wanting one of these for a while.  It's basically just like a normal block plane, but the low angle allows it to cut end grain, which is nice for flushing up the end of a board from time to time.  It was also in good condition.  All I did to get it ready was to clean it, oil the moving parts, wax the body, and sharpen the blade.



I also built a holder for this plane to go along with my other metal planes,  I started by finding a piece of 3/4 inch thick stock and a couple of 1/2 inch thick pieces.


Then I cut the 3/4 inch piece down to about 1/8" wider than the sole of the plane.


I traced the shape of the front of the plane and sanded to my line on the disc sander.


Then I held up one of the 1/2" thick pieces that would form the sides of the holder and traced the shape of the front of the plane side onto it.


I cut it out on the bandsaw and then traced that shape onto the other side and cut it out.  I also cut off some of the excess length from the 3/4" base piece of wood to form the bottom of the holder.  This piece is sitting at the back of the plane in the picture below




Next I take the lever cap off and trace the tail end of the plane side onto the side.  I repeat the procedure with some 1/8" thick oak scrap I had.  This scrap of oak will hold the plane from falling out of the holder once it's vertical.



I cut out the oak pieces and stick them to the sides of the holder with glue and clamps


I also glue that bottom piece onto the base of the plane holder.


Once those are dry, it's time to glue the sides onto the base.

  
Then I drill and contersink a couple of holes through the base to hang the holder by and put a little linseed oil on it.

 

 Here is the completed holder hanging with my other ones.  It's the one on the top left.







No comments:

Post a Comment