Thursday, March 28, 2013

Quickie Project: Foam Brush Rack


Posted by
Labels: , , ,
 I bought a bulk set of disposable paint brushes from Grizzly recently.  The set was on sale for $15, and I couldn't pass that up.  However, readers who have been following along for a while will know that my shop space is limited and I have to come up with a creative way to store virtually everything I purchase.  The set came with 50 foam brushes, 50 chip brushes, and 50 acid brushes (which I use for spreading glue).  The chip brushes can be hung on my pegboard since they have hanger holes in the handles.  The acid brushes are small enough to just be stuffed in a drawer somewhere.  But the foam brushes are a little more difficult to store, so I decided to create a wall hanging storage setup for them. 

I started out by cutting a number of parallelograms out of 1/2 inch thick scrap pine.  I did this by setting my miter gauge to about 5 degrees.  Then I made a cut on the end of several pieces.



Then I set up a stop block to set the length for the next cut.  This length is the same as the width of the workpiece, so this would be a square if I wasn't cutting at an angle. Subsequent parallelograms can be made from a longer piece by just repeatedly pushing to the stop block and cutting.


This leaves me with a bunch of parallelograms.


I then take a parallelogram and place one corner point in the kerf in my tablesaw sled fence and align the opposite corner point with the kerf in the sled bottom.  I hold this piece down with a piece of scrap to keep my hand out of the way, and cut it apart.


What I'm left with is a number of triangles that are intentionally out of square.  These are meant to be hung up such that the top is sloping backwards to keep things hung on them from sliding off.


 I mount a bunch of these triangles to some 1/4 inch scrap plywood with glue and brads.  I just laid out the position by eye, using some of the foam brushes as spacers. It doesn't take a lot of strength here because these are only holding up the weight of some foam brushes. 


Here are the holders in use, storing those foam brushes!


If you like what you see here, consider subscribing to our blog.  We have rss/atom as well as email type subscription options at the top right of the page.  Drop me a comment or email if you have any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment