Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend odds and ends


Posted by
Labels: ,
Most Saturdays in the wintertime i have to work on Saturdays so i really feel like my weekends are cut short and i cant get much done. We have slowed down enough at work now that we are no longer working on Saturdays for the most part. That being said, I had a very productive weekend. I finished my drill press table and fence on Saturday so today I had plenty of time for some odds and ends.



I made a new crosscut sled and miter sled a couple of weeks ago but never put any pictures up so I figured i would include some pics in this post.

Here is my new crosscut sled hanging on the holder i made for my old sled. It fits fine on my old hanger so i didn't have to make a new one.

The sled is constructed of 3/4'' oak plywood with solid oak runners.





Here is my new miter sled which is made of the same materials. I put the triangle on top to stiffen the sled up.




Both sleds have 3 coats of water based polyurethane on them.


Here is a shot of the hanger i made for the miter sled on the wall.








Ok, if you have an old table with some light surface rust on the top like me, drop everything you are doing in the shop and do this.

I picked up a wire wheel for my angle grinder, some 320 grit sanding blocks and some paste wax.


I wish i had taken a picture before i did it but oh well. I started by going over the top with the wire wheel then i sanded the top with the sanding blocks. Next i wiped everything down with alcohol and applied the paste wax.



I have no idea why it took me so long to get around to doing this, the results are dramatic and it only took about an hour. Every tool that works with the table saw, works better and everything slides so much easier. This is one of the best things i have done to improve my old table saw.


As you can see a tube of silicone or caulk will not quite fit on this shelf.

I decided to make this simple holder for tubes that go in a caulk gun. Its just a piece of 3/4'' plywood with six 2'' holes cut in it, works great.




My last project for the day was making this little cabinet. The shell is just a box i got from work that some parts where shipped in. Its 7 feet tall, 16'' wide and 14'' deep.


I cut 12 pieces of 2x4 to support the shelves and screwed them in making sure the shelves were level. I also screwed the hole thing to the wall to make it more stable. The best part about this project is it was practically  free, the wood i used to make the shelves and even the screws came from another box that i took apart from work. The only thing i paid for was the two 8 foot 2x4s which i had on hand. So basically that was about a 6 dollar project.

If you have any questions or comments drop me an email or just leave a comment! Thanks for viewing


No comments:

Post a Comment