Friday, May 10, 2013

It's ALIVE!


Posted by
Labels: ,
That's right, cue the campy sci-fi music and Frankenstein style electrical effects - my table saw is back, baby.  I received the parts from Delta, and installed them nearly two weeks ago.  In the meantime, however, I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right arm so progress in the shop has been virtually nonexistent since.  I'm hoping that maybe in a couple more weeks I'll be back in the shop some.  But for now, here's a quick look at the tablesaw parts:


From right to left, we have a "seat" (Delta's term for the part), a replacement arbor nut, and the main bracket that connects the motor to the adjustment mechanisms and trunion.  The seat and the bracket broke of their own accord, and the arbor nut I damaged trying to remove it.  Somehow it got extremely tight during the breakdown, and I rounded off the corners of the old one trying to get it off.  I didn't take pictures during the reassembly; I figured they'd be hard to follow anyway.  But the important part is that I got it back together.  Here's the saw, back in working order.



I'll grant you this isn't a great tablesaw.  It's a roughly 15 year old contractor style saw, and it was probably never meant to last this long.  The fence isn't perfect, and the fact that it has a universal motor instead of an induction one makes it really loud.  But, all the same, it's tuned up pretty well and it's easily the most used tool in my shop.  I definitely want a bigger one some day, but I don't have 220 volt power in my garage and I didn't want to spend a lot of money getting it installed since I hope not to be in this shop for too much longer.  So for now, fixing this saw for only $50 was the right decision.

I hope to get back to a more regular posting schedule after a couple more weeks, but for now, bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment