Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Crisis...Averted?


Posted by
Labels: ,
In my last post, I told you all that my table saw was dead and I had to get a new one.  However I had recently seen John Heisz's posts on repairing two old table saws (http://www.ibuildit.ca/Weblog/blog-58.html)and they got me thinking about trying to find replacement parts.  Like most Americans, I'm so used to manufacturers not offering replacement parts for virtually every product we use that I didn't even think of this.

I might have thought of it sooner if this was an older or higher quality saw, but since it's only 10 or 12 years old and wasn't that nice of a saw to begin with, I really didn't expect Delta would offer replacement parts.  However, after doing some poking around today, I found out they do!

I have ordered a replacement for this broken bracket:





and a replacement arbor nut.  I damaged the old arbor nut trying to get it off.  The total for the order including shipping was $44.61, so that's cheap enough that it was worth it to try to fix it for me.  Hopefully I'll get the parts within a couple of weeks.  Since I wasn't thinking I'd be able to fix the saw while disassembling it, I hope I didn't lose any parts or damage anything else along the way.  As long as I didn't, I think I can do the reassembly in a few hours.  More to come!

A big thank you to any and all tool manufacturers that offer replacement parts to their tools for many years after their original manufacture date.

No comments:

Post a Comment