Wednesday, February 11, 2015

January: Shop Improvement Month!


Posted by
Labels:

For the second year running, I decided to take January as a kind of shop improvement month.  I typically make a lot of Christmas presents, and January is a good time to clean up the shop, integrate new tools, and complete shop tasks that were put off the previous year.  To start, I integrated a couple of new tools (mentioned in the previous post).  An air compressor:


And a lathe, for which I built a stand.  Then I added these tool holders made of pvc and wood:

I used the new lathe to make some file handles that I had needed for quite some time.  I made these out of some scavenged maple from some old broken chairs I got at a yard sale a year or two ago.  These were the turned pieces from the chairs which weren't reusable for much else.



 

I built this little dust collector manifold.  Previously I had a 4" drop in this same location with a "Y" to connect my planer and tablesaw.  This manifold is supplied by an upgraded 6" drop and also includes connections for the tablesaw, planer, and jointer as well as a dust sweep which is the large door facing the camera.


Each connection is controlled by an integrated blast gate.


 
For the blast gates, I made these little wing nuts to lock the doors open or closed.  They consist of a regular hex head bolt with a large wing I made from some scrap steel welded on.

 
I added an outfeed extension and a left hand size extension to my tablesaw.  I have wanted to make an outfeed table extension like this for so long, and just kept putting it off.


 
And lastly, I made a new table for my sanders to sit on.  The old arrangement in this corner of the shop was such a rigged up mess I won't even attempt to describe it here.  This table is based on Matthias Wandel's simple workbench design.  It is a great way to build a table of nearly any size for your workshop, and I highly recommend it.


I had two barrels stored under the sanders in my old setup.  The space under the new table was just a little too narrow, so I replaced the right barrel, which served as a trashcan, with this quickly knocked together plywood trashcan.

 

And last but certainly not least, I upgraded my dust collector.  My brother bought my old 1.5hp model, and I upgraded to this 3hp one.  It's pretty tight space wise, but it has certainly been an upgrade performance wise.


 If you enjoyed this article, consider subscribing to our blog.  We have email and rss/atom options at the top right of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment