Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Salvage Finds


Posted by
Labels:
I had a great opportunity this past weekend to do some salvaging.  My grandmother still lives on a farm where a couple of previous generations of the family have lived.  There are several old outbuildings, and lots of neat stuff to find if you like old things.  We went to visit her and search through one of the older buildings, and we found lots of great stuff!

I brought back several oak 2x4s about 6 feet long.


 A small rusty anvil.


 3 ball peen hammers.


An old bench screw


A bunch of different metal files.


And an old 2 man crosscut saw.


I intend to clean up and use all this stuff, with the exception of the crosscut saw which will just be a decoration.  I'm super excited about the anvil.  Look for an article on cleaning it up and getting it ready for use in the near future!

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? Nice finds. What does the anvil weigh? Mine is small...compared to a 300LBS anvil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture may make it look bigger than it is. It registers 88 lbs on my bathroom scale. I have done some preliminary cleanup with a wire wheel and found markings:

      WHB & Co
      Warranted

      The flat area on top is about 3.5"W x 13"L and the horn section is about 7.5"L.

      Delete
    2. The "H" initial in the markings could be a B as well, it's hard to make out.

      Delete
  2. Also - a wire wheel on an angle or bench grinder is my first stop when cleaning up old steel tools of any kind. It works extremely well.

    ReplyDelete