Thursday, February 28, 2013

Forstner Bit Storage Shelf and More Parts Storage Drawers


Posted by
Labels: , , , ,
My forstner bit set came in a wooden box that's been sitting on the corner of my workbench ever since.  It's right next to my drill press where I use them most, but it's also taking up valuable workbench space.



I have been wanting to find another place to put this set for a while, but just about every obvious convenient space is already occupied.  I had a little spare wall space behind the drill press, so I decided to put up a shelf there to put the bit set.



 
This shelf is made from some spruce, and so are the shelf brackets.  I made the brackets in the manner I described in this article, just without the weird offsetting I had to do on that one.  I notched the shelf around the tops of the brackets to allow it to set flush against the wall.

This was a quick project, and anything that frees up bench space is a win in my book.

I also knocked together a couple more under shelf parts storage drawers.  These two were made out of some pine 2x4 that I ripped in half on the tablesaw and then planed down to 1/2 inch thick.  The carcass is joined with tongue and dado joints, and the front is faced with spruce.  The handle is another offcut from the toolbox drawers project.  When I made the first couple of these drawers, I jokingly thought it would look cool to have them go all the way down this long shelf.  Now I'm thinking seriously about doing it!




If you like what you see, consider subscribing via email or RSS/Atom on the top right of the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment