Monday, February 18, 2013

Weekend Quickie Project: Door Curtain Rod


Posted by
Labels: , ,
Our front door has an arch shaped window in it.


This is sort of a privacy issue in my opinion, as the window is only slightly above eye level.  We live in a pretty typical subdivision, and anyone could walk by and look in this window at any time.  Call me paranoid, or a hermit - I won't argue with either one, but I've just never been comfortable with this window.  Actually, we also have a long clear glass window beside the door, which you can see my wife has made a nice custom curtain for in the picture above.  This was even worse, as the window ran the whole length of the door, and anyone could see basically our whole living room through it.  I am relieved to have it covered.

My basic inspiration to make a wooden curtain rod came, as it often does, from an article over at www.woodgears.ca, although I came up with my own design.  The bar is a piece of 1 inch thick by 1 and 1/2 inch wide pine, sized to fit my door (about 35 inches for me).  The brackets are 3/4 inch pine stock, cut to hold the bar in a slot so that the bar is removable.

I ripped the bar out of a 2x4, and cleaned it up in my thickness planer.  I then rounded over all the edges with a 3/4 inch roundover bit on my router table.


I put a little rounded detail on the ends of the bar at the disc sander.



To make the brackets, I started with 3/4 stock.  I drew out the shape for the notch to hold the curtain rod, and traced a plastic container to create the round shape on the bottom.  I keep a supply of old round containers in different sizes for this purpose.


I cut the notches on the table saw with the workpiece on end, making a number of passes to clear the waste.



I roughly cut the bottom curve on the bandsaw, and smoothed it to the line on the disc sander.

I used my pocket hole jig to put a couple of pocket holes in these brackets to attach them to the door with.



I put a couple of quick coats of water borne polyurethane on the brackets and rod, and this project was complete!


Here is a link to a sketchup model I made: sketchup model.



No comments:

Post a Comment