Sunday, February 24, 2013

Table saw outfeed extension


Posted by
Labels: ,

I decided to build outfeed extensions for my table saw rather than putting a table at the end of the saw because it takes up less room and makes my table saw seem much bigger.

I started by building this simple frame out of 2x4s. I ripped the two top runners from a 2x4 to 5/8''. This was the thickness i needed to make two 1/2'' pieces of plywood level with the the table saw top.
After the frame was complete i glued the two pieces of plywood together and made some edge bands from another 2x4 ripped down to size. I glued them to the sides and rounded the edges with my router. Then i cut the slots in the top a little bit oversized to avoid any binding. I decided this was as good a time as any to buy a good sander. I picked this Bosch random orbit sander from Lowes for about $70. I then sanded the everything with the new sander.

Last I applied 3 coats of water based polyurethane to the top and installed it on the saw. Here's the final product.










If you have any questions or comments drop me an email.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I need to get started on one of these myself. I really like the contrasting color on the edge banding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and yeah I really liked how the contrast turned out too!

    ReplyDelete